It is believed that the ancient Egyptians and Mesopotamian civilizations were the first to utilize glass.
Ever since glass has become a significant feature in architecture throughout the ages, you can see grand churches in Europe and elsewhere having well designed mosaic glasses depicting the life of Christ to complete structures built with almost 70% of its built-in glass.
Skyscrapers often have large portions covered in strong thick glass.
The usage of it also is seen in mirrors, covers of lenses, etc.
You must be aware of the fact that the glass used for house-windows, shop-windows, mirrors are quite fragile. In the event of a mishap that causes it to get damaged, people tend to replace it entirely.
However, that is an entire investment on its own and can be altogether unnecessary when a simple glass repair could have rectified the problem.
When To Repair Glass?
You Will Come Across Some Factors To Consider Before Attempting Glass Repair:
- Is it valuable? If the glass is an inexpensive glass for normal usage than perhaps you might want to consider replacing instead make the efforts of conducting a glass repair.
- If the glass possesses the value of sentiments? Then you could go for repairing it since a replacement would no longer hold the same sentimental value it had.
- Is it an heirloom? Glass family heirlooms are entirely and are passed from generations, making sense to conduct a repair rather than replacing it.
- Can it be replaced? In the event, that replacement is not an option; then it would make sense to have it repaired instead leave it hanging around broken.
- Will it maintain structural integrity? Particular glass objects are very original in designs. No doubt, finding a replacement would be quite a challenging task. Repairing would be perhaps the only option you might have in this regard.
- If the crack or chip in the glass is not too large? Minor cracks and chips do not require replacement and a simple repair job can fix the issue relatively quickly. It helps the glass piece to maintain its original beauty without you requiring forking out a hefty sum in entirely replacing when it was repairable in the first place.
Hiring a Glass Repair Company
One can attempt to repair glass on their own, however, when the repair job is complicated and on items of importance thanit is wiser to hire a professional glass repair company for the job.
Some of the Benefits of Hiring a Company:
#1. Quality Tools for The Job: You can attempt to repair on your own. However, glass as a material cannot be toyed around like wood and metal due to its fragile nature. Thus the right tools and equipment are essential when conducting a repair job.
#2. Legally insured and licensed: What does this indicate? Several countries have different laws on how to license a company. However, the general gist is that it is an indication that the company is trained and skilled in their respective crafts.
#3. Safety Overall: Repairing glass requires precision and care. Professionals in the business of repairs place this over everything first. When it comes to glass family heirlooms and other precious items that are irreplaceable, it is best to play it safe, and professionals in the business recognize this need.
Replacing glass might be a quick fix. However, it could completely change the quality of the glass product. Certain items are tied to sentiments are irreplaceable. In such cases, glass repairs are far a better option to consider.